KIEV, Sept. 2 – Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych on Sunday suddenly backtracked on the possibility of his Regions Party joining a controversial emergency session of Parliament on Tuesday, amid fears of major clash with the president.
“We have to answer the question of whether this would lead to a threat,” Yanukovych said in an interview with the Inter television. “If it does, for example pose a threat of destabilization in the country, it shouldn’t be done.”
The comment is a turnaround for Yanukovych. It comes two days after President Viktor Yushchenko warned the prime minister personally that the holding of the session of Parliament would be “the way towards confrontation.”
The developments underscore a power struggle between the two political figures ahead of the Sept. 30 election that had been agreed upon by leading politicians earlier this year.
The political figures may be seeking to avoid the confrontation now to leave doors open for possible partnership when the next government is formed after the vote.
Analysts said that Yushchenko’s Our Ukraine-People’s Self-defense may appear to be the key group in any future coalition, whether it joins forces with the Regions Party or with the group led by former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
The holding of the session of Parliament on Sept. 4 would challenge the president, who had declared that Parliament was no longer capable of approving any legislation.
But as a further challenge to the president, Justice Minister Oleksandr Lavrynovych said Thursday that should 300 lawmakers show up at the session in the 450-seat Parliament, this would automatically cancel the snap election.
This triggered a strong response from Yushchenko hours later who said the move would be “a step in the wrong direction.” Yushchenko said he “regretted” that the prime minister had supported the move and warned that this would lead towards “confrontation.”
Yanukovych has been vacillating for a month over whether to support or to reject the emergency session and has been apparently using it as a tool of pressure on the president.
The prime minister’s latest comments also suggest the pro-Russian government coalition has apparently failed to recruit enough lawmakers from opposition groups to cancel the election.
“The election will take place on Sept. 30,” Yanukovych said while addressing local administrators in Simferopol on Friday. “Elections come and go, but life continues.” (tl/ez)
|